Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Another Shack nugget

One more quote from The Shack, about a man and his wife:

"He says she saved his life and paid a high price to do it. For some reason, beyond understanding, she seems to love him now more than ever, even though I get the sense that he hurt her something fierce in the early years. I suppose that since most of our hurts come through relationships so will our healing, and I know that grace rarely makes sense for those looking in from the outside." (italics mine)

Love that line. Grace is such a mystery, such a gift. The extending of it, by definition, undeserved. I have seen grace extended in sessions from one family to another...and it is indeed holy. Doesn't always make sense from the outside, but it pulls my heart powerfully to gaze at the unusual beauty of it.

No comments: