Saturday, December 20, 2008

The beauty in little things

Yesterday evening I spent with an old friend...sushi by the fire, with the music of the season in the background, and candles and little sparkly lights around the window providing muted light. We caught up on each other's lives. We just enjoyed simply just "being". And after she left, I found myself wondering why I let the busy-ness of life get in the way of creating pockets of time where life stops and the simple pleasure of time with a friend is enjoyed.

I know part of it is that many of the regular routine things have taken pause for the season. I had a chance to not only clear and clean the counters, but to set out the candles, and clear away the clutter so as to genuinely be able to enjoy the simplicity of being with a friend.

I love the hustle and bustle of a thriving practice, of making a difference in the lives of clients and students, of mentoring people and so on, but I forgot how much I also love stepping off the treadmill of my life and enjoying the simplicity of connection with a friend. It's after evenings like yesterday that I resolve to do things differently, to be more intentional about creating time and space in my life to slow down and simply "be".

May this Christmas time be one where you spend time in ways that are meaningful and enriching.

No comments: